First Time Applicants
All passport applicants must be present at the time of application. Bring the following with you when applying for a passport in our office.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Please bring 1 of the following documents:
- Expired U.S. Passport
- Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship or Report of Birth Abroad.
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate if born in the United States; it must show:
- Full name of the applicant
- Full names of the applicant's parent(s)
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority
- Registrar's signature
- The date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office (must be within one year)
Important: Hospital birth certificates and baptismal certificates are not acceptable! These requirements for U.S. birth certificates went into effect on April 1, 2011.
Please bring 1 of the following:
- A valid Driver's License, not a temporary or learner's permit
- Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship
- Official Military I.D. (current)
- Valid U.S. Passport
Additional I.D. may be required if using the following types. Please check with a representative in our office concerning these:
- State picture I.D. card
- Government I.D. card (Federal, State or Municipal); or work I.D. with picture
- Pilot's License
All minors must have their own passports and be present at the time the application is processed. Both parents must be present with any child under the age of 16 with their valid driver's license or passport and it is required that each parent sign the application in the presence of the Recorder's Office staff when the application is processed. If the applicant is under the age of 16 and previously had a passport, the passport and a certified birth certificate will be necessary to renew that passport. Please call for further instructions on what procedures to follow if one of the parents is not able to be present.
Minors between 16 and 18 must sign the application and may use their own valid driver's license or permit, but parental signature is still required and the parent's I.D. document must be used on the application.
One photo is required. You must bring in your own photo and it must meet these requirements:
- The photo must be 2 inches by 2 inches. Image size not less than 1 inch nor more than 1-3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head, including hair.
- Subject must be looking right at camera, not looking to the side.
- The photo must be printed in color.