Military Discharges

Recording Discharge Papers

After an individual separates from military service, they receive a DD 214 (military separation form.) The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form to ensure easy availability of a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed. Upon recording of discharge papers, the office will furnish free certified copies to the filer.

Lost or Misplaced Military Separation Forms

There is no charge for the recording of the military separation forms. If you have lost or misplaced your military separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your military separation form in our office, you need to contact your local branch of the Veteran's Administration for assistance. Our office only has records of military separation forms that have been submitted to us for recording by the veterans themselves.

Privacy Policy

Military Discharge Records became private as of January 2004. Anyone requesting discharge papers must fill out a Request for Release of Private Data. Only the veteran, certain family members, and the Veterans Service Officer can request this information.

For More Information

For more information, or to request a copy of your military separation form, please contact the local Veterans Services Officer.