Notifying the Sheriff's Office
Rural Nicollet County residents wishing to burn need to call the Sheriff's Office at 507-931-1570 on the day that they are burning. They will need to provide the following information:
- Address of the burn
- Fire Department covering jurisdiction
- Phone number where they may be reached
- Material being burned
- It is illegal to burn garbage or painted lumber even if you have been issued a burning permit.
- You must call in each and every day that you burn.
- If you are burning or burying a structure, whether standing or torn down, the structure must be inspected before you're allowed to burn or bury it. You must contact: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Forestry Division - New Ulm Office
- For further clarification on rules and restriction review the Nicollet County Burn Ordinance (PDF)