Burning Permits

Notifying the Sheriff's Office

Rural Nicollet County residents wishing to burn need to call the Sheriff's Office at 507-931-1570 on the day that they are burning. They will need to provide the following information:

  • Name
  • Address of the burn
  • Fire Department covering jurisdiction
  • Phone number where they may be reached
  • Material being burned


  • It is illegal to burn garbage or painted lumber even if you have been issued a burning permit.
  • You must call in each and every day that you burn.
  • If you are burning or burying a structure, whether standing or torn down, the structure must be inspected before you're allowed to burn or bury it. You must contact: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
    Forestry Division - New Ulm Office
    Phone: 507-359-6000
  • For further clarification on rules and restriction review the Nicollet County Burn Ordinance (PDF)