Social Services Intake

Nicollet County Human Services Intake provides an entry point for all offered social services. This includes:

  • Adult Mental Health
  • Child Protective Services
  • Children's Mental Health
  • Disability Services
  • Minor Parent Services

They will also provide information and referral services to those seeking community resources such as, anger management classes and parent education classes.

Nicollet County Intake can not help someone gain custody of their children during a divorce or separation. This also includes relatives seeking custody of children when the children are not part of a current child protection case. Child custody is a matter handled by family court and most persons would need an attorney to help with this process. Forms for family court matters can be found on the Minnesota Judicial Website.

Mandated Reporter Information

If you are a professional who works with children and families, you are in a key position to help protect children from harm. Minnesota law requires professionals and their delegates who work with children to make a child protection report if they know or have reason to believe:

  • A child has been neglected or abused within the preceding 3 years
  • A child is being neglected or abused

Minnesota laws provide mandated reporters with great personal responsibility. If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, you cannot shift the responsibility of reporting to a supervisor, or to someone else in the office, school, clinic, or licensed facility. You alone are required to make the report to the responsible agency.

Anyone who reports child abuse or neglect in good faith is immune from civil liability. If you are required to report known or suspected abuse or neglect and fail to do so, you are guilty of a misdemeanor. The Minnesota Department of Human Services provides a Resource Guide for Mandated Reporters.

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, contact your county human services agency or the police. If it is an emergency, call 911.