Child Care Assistance

Affordable Child Care
It is important to know that your child is well cared for while you are at work or going to school. One of the most important decisions you will ever make as a parent or guardian is choosing quality, affordable child care. Children are special and unique and deserve the best start possible so that they are ready to learn when they enter school.

Minnesota's Child Care Assistance Program
Minnesota’s Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) is a subsidy program that can help to make quality child care affordable for income-eligible families. The CCAP can help families pay child care costs for children up to age 12, and for children with special needs up to age 14. Child care costs may be paid for qualifying families while they go to work, look for work, or attend school.

To qualify for CCAP, families must comply with child support enforcement if applicable for all children in the family. Care must be provided by a legal child care provider over the age of 18. All families will have a co-payment based on their gross income and family size. Family size, family income, and participation in authorized activities are considered. The amount of available funding may also be a factor. In some Minnesota counties there is a waiting list for access to day care under the Basic Sliding Fee Program.

There are maximum reimbursement amounts for child care providers who serve families participating in CCAP. Maximum reimbursement rates vary by the type of location of the provider and the age of the child. CCAP can reimburse providers up to applicable CCAP maximum rates, not to exceed the provider charge. Providers with certain accreditation or credentials are eligible to be reimbursed up to the CCAP maximum rates with accreditation / credential differential (PDF), Minnesota CCAP 20% (PDF) not to exceed the provider charge. Counties are advised to use these co-payment schedules(PDF).

Applying for Child Care Assistance Program
Minnesotans in need of child care assistance should contact their county human services office to apply for the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP). To find out more information about CCAP, see the brochure, Do You Need Help Paying for Child Care?

There are 3 ways for families to apply for the CCAP: